The scent of skunk spray is so potent that it has often been compared to tear gas. This is because the substance they release contains chemicals that are designed to irritate the nose and eyes. You will notice an increase in tear production as well as more mucous and significant redness if you come in contact with this substance. If your car has been skunked, don’t delay! Take action right away!
What won’t work
When you run a search online for ways to get rid of skunk scent, you will come across a number of ‘great’ home remedies. These include tomato products like tomato paste and juice. Some even recommend oatmeal and beer. The problem with these methods is that they merely mask the scent and fail to eliminate it.
How to get that smell out once and for all
As mentioned above, it’s important to act quickly. Just like any unpleasant scent or stain, the faster you act, the easier it will be to remove. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Open all the windows in your vehicle.
- Let your car stand in the sun so that the sun can shine on the upholstery.
- Mix a 10: 90 solution of bleach and water. Alternatively, you can use a solution of hydrogen peroxide, water and baby shampoo.
- Do a patch test on a concealed area first. Just to make sure that it does not damage the upholstery in any way.
- Wash the interior of your vehicle with this cleaning solution.
- If needed, place bowls with charcoal or vinegar on the back seats for a few days. Many people prefer charcoal since it will not spill like vinegar.
- Hose down the exterior of your vehicle.
- You might need to repeat the cleaning process or, if the smell is very stubborn, use a commercial product to remove any remaining odor.
Remember, it’s not just about acting right away, but also using the right products. It is also worth mentioning that a professional clean will be a lot easier and quicker than attempting the clean yourself.
Driving your car will prove difficult, if not impossible, once it has been skunked. The good news is that Wash Me Now offers fully mobile car detailing services throughout Toronto and the GTA. We will come to you and perform the necessary cleaning so that you don’t have to suffer from the side effect of that smell any longer. To find out more, give us a call at (647) 607-5199.